Saturday, June 27, 2009

More on the Mast

Well it took almost 3 full days' work to get the mast scraped and sanded but it is done and I"m on the fourth coat of varnish. Trev and and apprentice from Duffy's helped me carry it around to the shed, I measured up all the rigging and all labelled, took it back to Duffy's to give me a quote on the replacement. Andy the caretaker then helped me get it into Vice Commodore Dave's long shed, as my mast won't get into mine. Cheers Dave - I don't think it'll be in there too long.

The first picture here is of the original (made of Douglas Fir) and my replacement (Mahogany) support for the mainsail track as it feeds up the mast. The glue had failed, and as the original had a bit of green growth on it I thought it would be best to attach a new one. Then follow:

Spreader ends (spreaders are of Jarrah and look great)
Mast head (galvanised steel)
Scraping
Everdure on
All priming done.

The thing is looking really shiny now, so when the finish is done I'll post up the pic.






No comments: